Breadfruit smoothies are tasty and easy to make. This beverage while a bit unconventional is a great addition to any diet. In Jamaica where breadfruit is abundant, we quite often roast, bake it or fry it, but rarely do we drink it, well not just yet anyway. Recently, new ways of taking advantage of this crop have emerged. Here at Isle Bites we do just that by making innovative breadfruit based, gluten free products that are as tasty as they are healthy.
Typically, our products are food based, but it is our pleasure to share with you this great, easy to make breadfruit smoothie recipe. Each serving will contain several nutrients including potassium, which is essential to maintaining excellent cardiac function, antioxidants, omega 3 and 6 fatty acids, protein and folate.
- 2 Cups cubed breadfruit (cooked)
- 21/2 cups boiling water
- 2 cups milk or 2 cups juice(cold)
- 2 tbs. sugar or honey (optional)
- Dash nutmeg, cinnamon, salt
- 1 tsp vanilla or preferred flavoring
- 1 cup of your favourite fruit
- chopped nuts, flax seed
- Pre-measure all the ingredients before you start blending. In a blender add the cubed breadfruit spices flavorings and boiling water.
- Carefully blend until smooth
- Add the milk or juice also fruit if desired and blend for another 2 to 3 minutes.
- Taste and adjust for flavor.
- If a cold drink is preferred add crushed ice at the end of blending.
- If you would like an additional flavour boost add 1 tsp coffee or 1 tbsp instant chocolate to the mixture when blending.
- Remove from the blender and drink instantly. This is a perfect meal substitute packed with nutrients.
- You can adjust the thickness by manipulating the ratio of breadfruit chunks to water/ice.
- Sugar can be added if you find the flavour a bit too mellow.
- Refrigerate if it will not be drunk immediately.